Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Follow the bouncing ball: Sing along, everyone



When I was growing up, Mitch Miller had a television show and during that show, they would play a familiar song and on the bottom of the screen the lyrics would be highlighted by a bouncing ball. Remember this was way before video games concerning rock stars. You could sing along and make a fool out yourself and feel entertained. We did alot of silly things before cable television and DVDs to have a good time.


With that introduction to this blog, let me also remind you of the elementary tune,
"Do your ears hang low?
Do they waddle to and 'fro?
Can you tie 'em in a knot?
Can you tie 'em in a bow?
Can you throw 'em over your shoulder
like a Continental Soldier?
Do your ears hang low?"

Take those two things and wrap your mind around the fact that on The Victoria Advocate there is a cadre of posters who are wearing jock straps that are three sizes too small causing both their brains to be oxygen-starved. The only subject that they care about is SPORTS; not academics, social behavior or even traffic safety concerning the schools. Just sports; preferably one that involves playing with a pigskin. There is one poster who must sleep in a jersey, clutching his ball, because this guy is so hyped up on "Rah Rah Juice" that he is mean to anyone who even questions VISD for anything.

Okay, guys, let me tell you, there is more to life than football, honestly. School spirit is wonderful, but it must involve more than athletes.

I want to leave you with this song, that is dedicated to a stormy guy who is a comment bully on The Advocate website:

Do your Boys hang low?
Do they wobble to and fro?
Can you tie 'em in a knot?
Can you tie 'em in a bow?
Can you throw 'em over your shoulder,
like a Continental Soldier?
Do your Boys hang low?

Hope he doesn't take offense, because LOL. (He uses "LOL" whenever he puts out some of his humor, so I hope he finds this as funny as I find his comments.)

Hey, if it was good enough for Fruit of the Loom to use the song in an ad for their underwear, I can, too.



Fun Ferret Fact: It is best to have your pet ferret's scent glands removed, unless your nose is not working well.

3 comments:

  1. This is so funny, and so true!

    Love the cartoon, too.

    Okay, now that song is in my head. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in the UK, but being exposed (as we are) to so many American TV shows etc I have to say I always find it slightly weird how sports-orientated American schools/colleges/universities are. I guess we have plenty of people in British educational insitutions who aren't really intersted in academics to though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome, to my blog, UTI. I am so glad that you posted a comment and I am looking forward to reading your blogs when you post.

    As far as the educational system, here in South Texas goes, unfortunately sports has taken over the priorities of many. It has been that way for a long time, which is frustrating for those of us who actually value academics.

    I value your input, especially since your age is a breath of fresh air and your homeland is some place that I've always wanted to visit. (England, Wales, and Scotland are my dream vacations.)


    On another note. I referred to a "stormy" guy in my above blog and I need to be clear of whom I speak. TSTORM, this blog is for you. Your rabid remarks on The Advocate are way off the mark of sane and global thinking. Hope that pinpoints the ringleader of the lopsided focus of the people who are so gun-ho about the school system. He is like the jocks who scorn the nerds and live to make everyone's lives miserable if they are 100% for sports.

    ReplyDelete